If that gym floor that just endured that workout along with those 12 individuals did that five or six times that day, six times that week, with the stifling heat and humidity factors without being cleaned properly, it has now become a cesspool of germs- a breeding ground for a very dangerous infection known as staph. So, now begs the question, “How can this be avoided?” Well, I’m glad you are still reading.
- Invest in a reputable walk behind scrubber. Such models for typical CrossFit gyms could be:
- Minuteman E20 as featured in this video created by a colleague of mine. Check out my cameo in the end.
- Tennant T3
- Tennant T1
- Nobles SS3, just to name a few.
- Invest in a cleaning chemical agent.
- Train members to clean up after themselves. I don’t have a fancy hyperlink for this but I can tell you what I tell my athletes, “Wipe down your bars and if you created sweat angels or used chalk, clean them up.” This step, although third on this list is really important for maintaining the cleanliness of a gym and it’s just hygienically well mannered.
Three short, easy steps can keep a CrossFit gym clean and safe for all athletes. You do not even have to pay a cleaning company to come in and clean your mats for you. This is something that can be done by you, the manager, the last coach of the night, or a member that is looking for a discounted membership. Your investment in these vital products will save you lots of money and time in the long run, not to mention the safety of your athletes. If you take anything away from this article, let it be that CrossFit gym floors can get very dirty, so just give us a call to help you clean your gym.
About the Author:
Maile Miller has been part of the team at Southeastern Equipment & Supply since early 2007. Growing up as a Military Brat, Maile developed the essential trait of adaptability and honed her problem-solving skills; Both of which have proven to be key ingredients to Maile's personal success with the company. Over the years, Maile has worked in nearly every department. However, while finding ways to make regular contributions throughout the company, she currently focuses her energy on Managing the Accounting Department. For the past four years, Maile has dedicated much of her spare time toward her love for CrossFit; Through which she has - as we have come to expect - found competitive success as well.